C. Scott Toomey is the managing partner of the firm’s Pennsylvania office, located on Philadelphia’s Main Line. He has defended product manufacturers, utilities and other companies faced with personal injury, death and property damage lawsuits. His trial and appellate experience includes matters in state and federal courts in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and beyond. He has been admitted pro hac vice to handle cases in over a dozen states. He has tried more than twenty cases to verdict as lead trial counsel and has been cited as an "exceptional trial lawyer" in The Legal 500: The Clients' Guide to the U.S. Legal Profession. (2010).
In addition to an active trial and appellate practice, Mr. Toomey has managed the defense of companies’ litigation on a national and regional basis. He has actively worked to design and deploy defense strategies that make winning at trial more likely. Ultimately, these coordinated strategies enhance efficiency, reduce defense costs and deter future litigation.
Mr. Toomey’s experience includes defending a range of companies, from Fortune 100 companies to mid-sized multi-state suppliers to niche manufacturers. Products defended include automobiles, auto components and aftermarket parts and their sellers. He has defended industrial and consumer products from helmets to metallic coatings to potentially toxic chemicals.
Mr. Toomey also serves as a Member of the Board of Directors of the Pennsylvania Defense Institute and Co-Chair of its Products Liability Committee. He is active in the Defense Research Institute and the Philadelphia Association of Defense Counsel. He has published and lectured extensively to legal and industry groups.
- Pennsylvania State Bar
- New Jersey State Bar
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Middlebury College, B.A. cum laude (Russian)
- Boston College Law School, J.D.
- Defense Research Institute
- Pennsylvania Defense Institute
- Member, Board of Directors, Co-Chair, Products Liability Committee
- Philadelphia Association of Defense Counsel "Responding to and Propounding Written Discovery"
- Product Liability Defense
- Complex Tort Litigation
- National Product Liability Program Management
- Tort Class Action
- Environmental & Toxic Tort Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Crisis Management
- Insurance Coverage Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Breach of Warranty
- Copyright, Trademark, Patent & Non-Traditional IP
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Litigation Avoidance, Cost-Control & Mitigation
- Regulatory Compliance
- Supply Chain
- Warehouse & Distribution
- Appellate Practice