Robert J. Kelly is a versatile litigator who has tried and won cases in numerous venues around the country. Mr. Kelly routinely handles matters in a wide variety of subjects, including bodily injury, commercial and property damage matters involving steel refinery processes, petrochemical premises liability, turbine design and manufacture, maritime casualty, toxic torts including benzene and asbestos exposures, recreational products including helmets and motorized vehicles, consumer products, and tires. Perhaps most notably, Mr. Kelly was lead defense attorney in the landmark case of Parker v. Mobil, 7 NY3rd 442 (2006) which set a new standard for the admissibility of expert testimony in New York state courts.
Mr. Kelly is a member of the Steering Committee of the Sports Fitness and High Tech Resource Group, which provides continuing education and consulting services to members of the sporting goods community. He speaks regularly on subjects as varied as advanced trial tactics, class actions, the Federal Employees Liability Act, toxic tort land product liability, and bicycle and helmet design and safety.
- New Jersey State Bar
- New York State Bar
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd and 3rd Circuits
- U.S. Supreme Court
- University of Notre Dame, B.A.
- University of Richmond Law School, J.D.
- Defense Research Institute
- Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association, Legal Task Force
- New Jersey Super Lawyer (2010, 2012-2020)
- Steering Committee of the Sporting Good Manufacturers Association Litigation Task Force
- Gasoline, Benzene and Kidney Cancer : the Impact of Parker v. Mobil" (Harris Martin Benzene Litigation Conference, Las Vegas, NV, May 2007)
- Parker v. Mobil and Benzene Litigation" (Harris Martin Benzene Litigation Conference, Miami, FL, November 2006)
- Parker and its Impact on Scientific Testimony" (Mealey's Benzene Litigation Conference, New York, NY, December 2006)
- Punitive Damages" (Petrochemical Litigation Group, Houston, TX, October 2006)
- Advertising, Warnings & Instructions: How Your Own Words Can Make or Break You" (2012 SGMA Litigation & Risk Management Summit)
- Product Liability Defense
- Complex Tort Litigation
- National Product Liability Program Management
- Tort Class Action
- Environmental & Toxic Tort Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Breach of Warranty
- Creditors' Rights
- Transactional Assistance
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Maritime & Transportation
- Inland Marine
- Appellate Practice
Robert Kelly is rated AV® Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell.
CV, BV and AV are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and the Judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell Ratings fall into two categories - legal ability and general ethical standards. More
Robert Kelly and Christine Emery prevail on Daubert challenge and obtain summary judgment in favor of Littleton Park’s manufacturer client in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York