Michael H. Bai focuses his practice on litigating a wide range of disputes and advising clients on regulatory and commercial issues. He has defended and represented manufacturers of various products, both domestically and internationally, including manufacturers of vehicle components (such as seat belts, airbags and tires), construction, agricultural and material handling equipment (such as excavators, lift trucks, skid steer loaders and tractors), consumer electronics and appliances (such as microwave ovens, cell phones, refrigerators and televisions), helmets, and numerous other products. Mr. Bai also serves as national counsel and supervisory counsel to numerous foreign corporations including the products described above. He also advises and assists many companies with product recalls, regulatory compliance requirements and governmental investigations. In addition, Mr. Bai has defended contractors in construction accident and labor law cases, building owners in toxic tort cases and businesses in commercial disputes.
Mr. Bai has handled these lawsuits throughout the world and in all venues, including serving as lead and co-counsel. He has appeared pro hac vice in cases in Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Missouri, New Mexico and Texas.
Michael Bai has written and lectured on various jurisdictional issues, including the Hague Service Convention.
- New York State Bar
- U.S. District Court, Southern, Eastern, Western and Northern Districts of New York
- Washington University, B.A.
- St. John's University School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Journal - New York Litigator, Moot Court
- Defense Research Institute
- Industrial Trucking Association, Lawyer’s Committee
- “Virtual Reality in the Courtroom and its Legal Hurdles”, Michael Bai, William J. Ricci, Dr. Chimba Mkandawire, Defense Research Institute 2019 Product Liability Annual Meeting (2019)
- "Personal Jurisdiction Issues - Foreign Manufacturers," Wilson Elser Product Liability Newsletter (November 2005)
- "Service with a Smile: An Introduction to Issues Concerning the Hague Service Convention," The Young Lawyer Connection, For the Defense, Defense Research Institute (Fall 2002)
- "All Things Naughty and Nice! Innovative Technology for Courtroom Demonstratives”, Speaker, Defense Research Institute 2019 Product Liability Annual Meeting
- "Tiptoe Through the Tulips: The Ins and Outs of the Hague Service Convention", Speaker, Defense Research Institute 2003 Product Liability Annual Meeting
- “Product Liability Prevention and Concerns”, Speaker, Center for International Legal Studies, 2008, Montreal, Canada
- "The Law of Unintended Consequences- Recent forklift Industry Standards Changes, "Speaker, 2013 Material Handling Equipment Legal Conference, November 2013
- "Antidumping and Countervailing Duties," "Product Liability", "Intellectual Property" and "TREAD Act", Speaker, Marsh Tire Product Liability Risk Management Seminar, 2015, Qingdao, China.
- "Optional Equipment: A Workplace Balancing Act”, Speaker, 2015 Material Handling Equipment Legal Conference, November 2015.
- Product Liability Defense
- Complex Tort Litigation
- National Product Liability Program Management
- Environmental & Toxic Tort Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Insurance Coverage Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Breach of Warranty
- Creditors' Rights
- Transactional Assistance
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Regulatory Compliance
- Motor Carriage / Truck
- Appellate Practice